Wednesday, August 31, 2005

i am enraged...

... and you should be too. i have always been a big fan of the excedrine migraine. i love it. when i have a headache, any headache, i take a couple of those and *wham-o* - headache's gone! love it! (imagine that in a sing-songy voice)

so i'm at the wally world the other day, and i'm looking at the excedrine migraine (because i ran out because the girl ate all of mine - don't ask, i'm not getting into that yet) and money's tight lately, so i'm comparing it to the generic, equate brand, which is non-migraine, but still excedrine-esque. so, i'm looking at the excedrine migraine, and i note that it contains 250 mg acetimenophen, 250 mg aspirin and 65 mg caffiene. remember that because that info will come in handy right now. i look at the equate excedrine and guess what dear friends? -exact. same. amount. of. everything.- so i look at the regular excedrine and guess what else? yup, you guessed it. exact same amount! i shit you not. we have been duped. all of us. i was thinking of starting a letter writing campaign to excedrine so we could all voice our disgust at their marketing ploy, but then i remembered that i'd have to write something and that's just too much like work.

moral of the story - i've done the research so you don't have to. just go with the equate. it's great. yes, equate is great. you can thank me later.

6 comments:

Not Jon said...

Equate rawks! So much for "brand name" shit! Big compaines have great advertising and marketing.

Funny - I went to the store yesterday to get drugs (...being sick and all) and laughed at the generic vs name-brand - same ingredients, same everything! I will not be tricked anymore!

mrs. awesome said...

i so had that moment with allergy medicines a couple of years ago. what will astound you more is the prices at sam's or costco. not only do they make generics with the same ingredients, but the bottles are HUGE and cheap. may you never stop saving, my friend.

Heather said...

duh, how many years have you been spending the money on the expensive stuff? I could have told you long ago to always buy generic. That was a lesson I learned quickly after I started shopping for myself.

Valerie said...

ok, so my commentary was a little off. i have known for a long time about the benefits of generics over name brands. my beef is with excedrine for marketing all of these other excedrines - i.e. migraine, tension, sinus, etc. - when they're all just excedrine. i hope this clarifies.

Valerie said...

because cheech couldn't figure out this new fangled computer stuff, here's what she would have posted if she was smart:
"So I made a comment on your blog yesterday at like 4:30, but I guess it
didn't take. Too bad because it was very witty. Now I feel like I have
missed my opportunity to post it. I basically said that while I was upset
with Excedrine, I would still buy the namebrand. Because it comforts me.
And I find that I can put a price on comfort. It is the price of a bottle
of Excedrine Migraine. And I said that I guess I was just a mindless
consumer who buys whatever some marketing team says I should buy. Because
they are smarter than me, I mean these people went to college. I went to a
vocational school. I graduated Class of September. It was all very
amusing. I think that the fact I attempted to post it should mean
something."

Heather said...

I'm enraged...and you should be too, we haven't had a new post from Tina in more than two weeks. I suppose she's ran out of things to talk about (no wait a minute that can't be her). Maybe she has simply moved her blog because she doesn't like any of us anymore. Lets all encourage her to come back to us!

COME BACK TINA! WE MISS YOU!