Sunday, May 22, 2005

you have no soul if...

you don't absolutely love the following prose:

She Walks In Beauty
She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade more, one ray less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

Lord Byron (1788-1824)


i stumbled on this poem tonight while surfing the net and i was reminded how much i always loved it.

also:
Separate Lives
You called me from the room in your hotel
all full of romance for someone that you met
and telling me how sorry you were
leaving so soon, and that you miss me sometimes
when you're alone in your room
Do I feel lonely to?
You have no right to ask me how I feel
You have no right to speak to me so kind
I can't go on, just holding on to times
now that we're living separate lives
Well I have learned, to let you go
and if you've lost your love for me
will you never let it show, oh no
there was no way to compromise
so now we're living separate lives
Ooh, so typical, love leads to isolation
so you build that wall,
yes you build that wall
and you make it stronger
Well you have no right to ask me how I feel
You have no right to speak to me so kind
Someday I might find myself looking in your eyes
But for now we'll go on living separate lives
Yes for now we'll go on living separate lives
-Phil Collins
ok, so it's not exactly classical and a far cry from Byron, but it is lyrical. i love that song. whenever i hear it i have to stop what i'm doing and sing along. oops. hang on a minute... ... ... *sigh* i love that song. i also love:
Faithfully
Highway run
Into the midnight sun
Wheels go 'round and 'round
You're on my mind
Restless hearts
Sleep alone tonight
Sendin' all my love
Along the wire
They say that the road ain't no place to start a family
Right down the line it's been you and me
And lovin' a music man ain't always what it's supposed to be
Oh girl, you stand by me
I'm forever yours
Faithfully
Circus life
Under the big top world
We all need the clowns
To make us smile
Through space and time
Always another show
Wondering where I am
Lost without you
And being apart ain't easy on this love affair
Two strangers learn to fall in love again
I get the joy of rediscovering you
Oh girl, you stand by me
I'm forever yours
Faithfully
Whoa, whoa, faithfully
I'm forever yours
Ever yours
Faithfully
- Steve Perry (Journey)
it's sad how much i love soft rock music now. it's definitely a far cry from Rage Against the Machine (still can't beat "Killing in the Name of" when you're really pissed) or Nine Inch Nails ("Something I Can Never Have" is so great to listen to in the dark). do you think that when Journey first made their music, they thought it'd end up on the Adult Contemporary music stations?
i started going through my music and realized there's just no way i can hit it all here. just know that i love almost all kinds of music but my all time favorite song is:
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
Good times for a change
See, the luck I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad
So please please please
Let me, let me, let me
Let me get what I want
This time
Haven't had a dream in a long time
See, the life I've had
Can make a good man bad
So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
- Steven Morrissey (The Smiths)

2 comments:

Valerie said...

sisters of mercy is always a good choice.

Valerie said...

yes, and he got it on with lots of chicks when he was alive too.
that guy rocks!